Chicken fajitas are a classic Mexican dish, easy to make as a weeknight meal jam-packed with flavor. Sizzling strips of marinated chicken seared to perfection tossed in with sauteed bell pepper and onions and a variety of toppings make for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Why I Love This Recipe
- It’s a versatile dish that you can easily customize
- You can play around with different spices to give them a unique flavor
- It’s often made with chicken, but you can make it with your favorite protein
- Suitable for those looking to maintain a balanced diet
- It’s easy to cook and a great budget-friendly meal
- You can enjoy it as a meal (bowl or with salad) or as a wrap
Homemade Chicken Fajitas
Are you looking for some budget-friendly meal prep recipes with pretty minimal ingredients? Well, this chicken fajitas recipe is just that!
All you need is chicken, colorful bell peppers, onion, spices, tortillas, lime juice, and your favorite toppings (mine is pico de gallo). Super easy chicken dinner!
And the best part about this one-pan recipe is it takes only 30 minutes to make, and you’ll have a fulfilling meal that also makes for the best leftovers or your weekly meal plans.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
Homemade fajitas seasonings are way healthier than store-bought ones. Have you ever checked the back of the fajita seasoning pack? I mean, there are so many preservatives and chemicals that we have never heard of.
So, why not make your own fajitas seasonings? Nothing compares to the flavor of homemade fajita seasoning.
For more details (storage, ingredients, and many more) about the seasoning, you can check out my homemade fajitas seasonings recipe.
Please scroll down the page to find the detailed recipe card with ingredient measurements and instructions.
The following sections provide notes on ingredients and substitutions and step-by-step instructions with photos for visual reference.
When you’re ready to make the recipe, use the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Chicken breasts: I’ve used skinless ones; you can also use boneless pieces for chicken fajitas.
- Bell peppers: I like to use various colors; you can use your favorites (red, orange, yellow).
- Onion: Thin slices of sweet yellow or white onion or red onion (anything you prefer)
- Lime juice: I love using freshly squeezed but bottled both works well
- Olive oil: Use any vegetable oil if you don’t have olive oil in hand
- Minced garlic: I used fresh minced garlic, but the jarred one is also fine.
- Spices: (cumin, smoked paprika, fajita seasoning & coriander). I have included our favorite homemade fajita seasoning blend.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
Once you’ve prepared your fajitas seasonings, the chicken fajitas will come together quickly! The chicken is juicy, and the peppers are perfectly crisp and tender.
You can have the delicious chicken fajitas in under 30 minutes, including the recipe prep. Just follow the following steps-
- Prep the veggies: deseed and slice the bell pepper, and cut the onion into thin slices.
- Marinate or season the chicken breast: Mix the oil and lime juice in a large bowl. All the spices and stir to form a paste. And add the chicken breast and toss to coat evenly.
- Cook the chicken: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breast, cook until golden brown on both sides, and cook through. Sear the chicken breast for about 8 minutes on each side, remove it from the skillet, and let it rest before slicing.
- Saute the veggies: While cooking chicken breast, saute the bell peppers and onion in the same skillet over medium to high flame for a few minutes until crisp and tender.
- Mix everything: stir the sliced chicken into the veggie mixture and give it a nice stir. Remove from the heat and serve it hot with the tortillas with your preferred toppings.
Serve it with warmed homemade tortillas, pico de gallo, and avocado. You can quickly turn this recipe into a chicken fajita bowl with Mexican rice or cilantro rice. Get creative with the toppings making it a delicious meal for your family and friends.
More Fajita Recipes
- Shrimp fajita
- Sheet pan Chicken fajitas
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Grilled chicken Fajitas
What do you have with chicken fajitas?
Chicken fajitas are served with grilled onions and bell peppers and wrapped in warm flour or corn tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. But you can go creative and add your favorite topping to it.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
For about four days, you can store the leftover chicken fajitas in an air-tight container in the fridge. When ready to eat, just reheat in a microwave or stovetop.
Can I Make Chicken Fajitas Ahead of Time?
Definitely! This is one of the best chicken recipes to make ahead. You can keep the sauteed chicken and veggies in separate air-tight containers for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
More Boneless Chicken Recipes
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion (thin slices)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 bell peppers red, yellow, green or orange
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 6 tortillas
- Cut onion and bell pepper into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, Mix the oil and lime juice, and all the spices and stir to form a paste. And add the chicken breast and toss to coat evenly.
- Preheat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chicken breast, cook until golden brown on both sides, and cook through. Sear the chicken breast for about 8 minutes on each side, remove it from the skillet, and let it rest before slicing. Repeat with remaining chicken breast.
- While cooking chicken breast, saute the bell peppers and onion in the same skillet over medium to high flame for a few minutes until crisp and tender.
- Stir the sliced chicken into the veggie mixture and give it a nice stir.
- Remove from the heat and serve it hot with the tortillas with your preferred toppings.